Title: Head Brewer
Location: Austin, Texas
Expected start date: August 15th
About the job:
The head brewer will work closely with the owner to complete all wort production on our 15 BBL three vessel direct fired brewhouse. Brewer will also oversee all cellar work including transfers and tank cleaning. Our brewing process is collaborative and creative freedom is encouraged. We believe strongly in rapid iteration, and strive to apply this wherever possible -- our brewing process, recipes, and ingredients are being continuously optimized to improve taste, timelines, and margins.
- Manage day-to-day operation of the brewery ensuring that the production process is optimal
- Troubleshoot and resolve equipment-related process and product quality issues within the brewery. Develop and update SOPs as needed
- Perform periodic maintenance to ensure the safe and effective running of all machinery
- Selection, ordering and inventory of raw materials used in the brewing and packaging processes
- Develop new recipes for seasonal and specialty beers
- Be well informed about current beer trends and enthusiastic about further brewer education
- Manage and develop future brewing staff
- Maintain accurate brewery inventory, quality, and production records, and ensure the brewery is in compliance with all Federal and applicable Texas environmental, safety and tax regulations
- Oversee lab tests and other QA/QC functions needed to ensure consistency in the high quality of all final products
- Passion for craft brewing and making great beer (duh)
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on commercial brewing experience
- Formal brewing education is preferred, but not required
- Comfortable with all aspects of brewing duties including: wort production, cellar work (transfers, dry hopping, CIP, etc), yeast management (cropping, starters, pitch rates, cell counts, generation tracking), general cleaning duties
- Good work ethic, excellent communication skills, and a positive attitude
- An ability to think quickly, identify issues, and implement practical solutions
- Must be able to lift at least 55lbs, and work long shifts on your feet
- Bonus: Experience brewing with kveik yeast
- Bonus: Mechanical and/or engineering skills
- Bonus: Passion for space, rocketry, and science education
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Health/dental/vision benefits
- 401k plan
- Reasonable working hours with little to no weekend work
- Flexible time-off policy
- Exposure to really cool space stuff
- Free beer
Starbase Brewing is a new brewery startup launching in Austin later this summer. As you can probably guess from the name, we are creating rocketry-themed beers inspired by Starbase, Texas. We’re planning to start out by brewing our own modern twists on traditional ales and lagers. Eventually we’d like to expand into explorations of other styles including hazies, sours, stouts, and more.
One of our biggest goals is to use craft beer to educate and excite the public about space exploration and Mars Colonization. (1% of all of our profits will be donated to science education!) We are the “Official Brewery of Mars” and our guiding vision is to be the first brewery on another planet. We have some really cool partnerships and potential customers in the works, and are excited about building this brand in the great beer city of Austin. If this project sounds exciting to you, please reach send your resume and any references to email@example.com. Tell us a bit about yourself, and be sure to mention what styles of beers you most like to drink/brew. We will respond in a timely manner. Thank you for your interest.
Starbase Brewing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Starbase Brewing is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with SpaceX, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. We are huge fans, though.